Thursday, July 23, 2009

Flat shopping

Been shopping for a flat to rent via Trademe recently. Not actually moving till there is a proper job offer, but it doesn't hurt to see what is out there.

Started off in selected areas and now roam the country with my mouse in the $250 weekly price range. One photo of the property doesn't really cut it, three or more is my minimum to even click on the ad. Then I can get a better idea of the whole flat.

Photos can be shots of just the outside, carpet, doors or windows, but not the actual room. A picture says a thousand words, if you look closely at the fittings and finishes they indicate the age and condition of the property.

Some don't know how to download big enough photos or how to rotate them! Have to turn 90 degrees to see the flat, I know I'm dedicated.

If they list the address and I'm tempted, I'll look at it virtually on Google Earth and size up the neighbourhood.
Most flats are vacant during their glamorous photo shoot but some are still occupied, giving a hint of the tenants' personality and culture. The more stuff in the shot, the bigger indication that there is little to no storage space.
Some vendors are cunning and have an alluring picture but rather disappointing summary. In the summary, it becomes more obvious that it's either a boarding house or a bedsit, studio or cupboard with toilets available at the local shops.

Unfortunately the majority look so grotty, they would have to pay me to move in! Or the wording of the summary is strange and unsettling.
One I looked at specified a male tenant as there wasn't enough room for excess female items, charming!
Still I'm addicted, the perfect flat is out there- just a matter of finding it.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin